TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTHHome
PART 890 ILLINOIS PLUMBING CODE
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SECTION 890.510 GREASE INTERCEPTOR REQUIREMENTS
Section 890.510 Grease Interceptor Requirements
Plumbing systems for institutions or commercial establishments in which grease, fats, culinary oils, or similar waste products from kitchens or food processing areas are wasted, or in which grease, fats, or culinary oils are wasted in connection with utensil, vat, dish, or floor cleaning processes, shall include grease interceptors. All waste lines and drains carrying grease, fats, or culinary oil, in the above type establishments shall be directed to one or more interceptors. (See Appendix E: Illustrations A and B.)
a) All required grease interceptors shall comply with the following:
1) Material and Covers. Grease interceptors shall be constructed of durable, corrosion-resistant materials and shall have water-tight covers securely fastened in place.
2) Minimum Size. A grease interceptor installed on the same floor as the fixture shall have one-half the liquid holding capacity of the fixture. A grease interceptor located on a floor below the fixture shall have sixty percent of the liquid holding capacity of the fixture. To determine the liquid holding capacity in gallons of a plumbing fixture, multiply the length by the width by the height in inches, and divide by 231. Where two (2) or more sinks or receptacles are connected to an interceptor the liquid holding capacity shall be based on the combined volume of the fixtures served.
3) No grease interceptor shall receive the discharge from a food waste disposal or a commercial dishwashing machine.
4) The flow rate of the interceptor shall be sufficient to handle the maximum demand of the connected system.
5) All interceptors shall be installed in an accessible location to permit the convenient removal of the lid and internal contents.
6) All interceptors shall be designed and installed with proper venting so that they do not become air bound. (See Appendix E: Illustration C.)
b) Prohibited Type. Water cooled grease interceptors are prohibited.